10.9.12

World Suicide Prevention Day

This week is suicide prevention awareness week and today is world suicide prevention day. This is something that has always been important to me, and something I've always talked about. If you are hurting and you feel alone, it is so important to know that you are not alone. There are so many places to turn to for help, so much hope for the future.

There are so so many organizations, causes, walks, numbers that are there to help those who are hurting. Sometime at the beginning of my time at Eastern I learned about To Write Love on Her Arms, an organization that pretty much everybody is aware of now. This is an organization that works to raise money to help people find the help they need if they are struggling with suicide or addiction. It is incredible.

Recently the It Gets Better Project was born out of need to let kids and young adults know that life will not always be as terrible as it is now. This project is geared towards bullied queer kids, but these messages are good for everyone to hear. The point is, no matter what the struggle is, there is somewhere to turn.

Throughout college I watched my friends lose their friends to suicide. I was aquiantances with some, and with others had only heard their names in funny stories and tales of great friendship. But these people, during my time at eastern, had never been my close friends or the people I spent time with. This doesn't take away from those lives lost, or the lives impacted. It was horrible to have to watch the people I cared about go through that. Knowing all along what we knew about all the places they could have turned to.

Of all the times I have had facebook statuses (which don't really mean anything), or talked to my friends, or even held an event once, about how there is always hope...suicide continues to be the 3rd leading cause of death among young people today. That number is only behind gun violence and car accidents. My generation, which if I may say so, is the best generation, is dying because we are either 1) killing each other 2) crashing our cars or 3) taking our own lives. Accidents happen, but 1 and 3 can be prevented. (well so can number 2, but its different)

One year ago I got that horrible call, that I imagine most of the readers of this blog have received at one point or another. The voice on the other end told me that George Jansson had taken his life. George was someone that I had known since (and then I don't really know) either late middle or early high school. Either way, for as long as I can remember George had been around. George and I worked together at this pizza place/liquor store for a short time, we worked together on class projects in high school, he was there with a smile if I needed one. I don't think it comes as a shock to anyone that knew George that he was one of the best people I ever knew. And that news was...well I guess there aren't really good words to describe what that news is like. But if you've received it you know, and if you haven't I hope you never do.

Someone told me that that the best thing to do when you lose someone important is to honor their memory, its better than just being gloomy. So I'm writing this blog in honor of George and all the lives lost to suicide which are too many to mention. And I want to make sure that anybody that needs help, anybody that feels alone, knows there is hope. There are places to turn. And if you call that number and they tell you it is a prank call and hang up on you (yeah I heard that happened to someone) then call me, or call somewhere else, or call 911 if you have to.

Call
1-800-suicide
1-800-273-talk
Visit the trevor project online or call
1-866-4-u-trevor
Visit reachout.com

Learn about the reality of depression and other mental health issues. Help to stand up and fight the stigma of these issues. If you are not struggling with depression, stand up and fight for your friends who are struggling silently because they are afraid to talk about it. MEN: tell your friends it is ok to feel depressed and it is OK to ask for help, even dudes need help sometimes. Women: men are less likely to ask for help, but women struggle with it to, so let your friends know they can ask for help.

If only to honor the memory of those lives lost, ask for help. Reach out to someone. This way our generation doesn't lose anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment